Usain Bolt took bronze at the IAAF World Championships 100-meter final Saturday, meaning his career in the event won’t end in a coveted gold.
Bolt is a well-decorated athlete, and he has dominated this event for years. To see him not finish in first is an odd sight. Instead, Justin Gatlin won gold while Christian Coleman placed second, the first time an American duo finished 1-2 at the worlds since 1991.
The event was a spectacular scene, so in order to honor it properly, we did so with photographs of the event.
Enjoy these eight photos from Bolt’s final 100m race:
1. Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin at the finish line
2. Gatlin pays respects to Bolt
3. Bolt soaks in moment after IAAF defeat
4. One last lightning bolt
5. Bolt hangs out in the crowd
6. Bolt gives loves to the crowd
7. Bolt has emotional moment
8. Bolt waves goodbye