The Yankees are hunting for a new manager after parting ways with Joe Girardi earlier this month. As for Girardi, he’s hanging out with his family in Florida mulling over his future.
Just days after losing to the Astros in the ALCS and subsequently leaving the Yankees, Girardi fielded several questions from The Athletic and said “I thought I’d be back” when asked about the Yankees’ decision to move on.
Here are several one- or two-word highlights from the extensive interview:
– Girardi on the conversation with GM Brain Cashman … “fairly quick.”
– On his emotions following the conversation … “surprised” and “disappointment.”
– On his family’s reaction … “extremely disappointed.”
– On if he would have come back to New York … “absolutely.”
– On if he talked to Washington or Philadelphia about their positions … no comment, basically.
– On his dream job … “run baseball.”
– On his desire to work on TV … “definitely interested.”
– On celebrities who reached out to him … “Billy Crystal.”
– On his relationship with with players … “misconstrued.”
Read the full Q&A here .